Monday 10 December 2012

Initial ideas for War of the Worlds

My initial ideas for War of the Worlds began with concentrating on the main thing in the scene, which is the alien probe that is pursuing the characters and is the cause of fear and tension in the scene. 
After doing some research on the aliens from the original book, the aliens were described as resembling jellyfish. Using this factor, I wondered if I could somehow record sound with a hydrophone to make it sound like the creature was somehow amphibious like using it in the shower and other interesting ways like putting water through a sieve and recording that.
However, upon looking at pictures of the aliens from the film, I felt like these sounds would be too weak to emulate the majesty and size of the alien
  

I also had enough idea of recording a scanner or a printer with a contact mic to make the alien seem more electronical. For editing the alien sounds, I thought that I would use panning  and volume to create a sense of space with the alien is in. For the scene where the little girl's foot accidentally slips out and the alien notices it, I thought I would use volume of the alien sound to create an immediate sense of tension and emergency. 
For foley, I would record the footsteps and breathing of the characters and would create the sound of the mouse and the mirror being put down.



No comments:

Post a Comment