Saturday 17 November 2012

Foley for Lost in Translation

I booked out the Protools studio in Harmer along with Emma and Alice to record foley for the Lost in Translation video. We realised that although there was a computer in there to edit and play the video on, there wasn't one in the actually recording room so we wouldn't be able to see what we were supposed to be recording. Luckily, Emma had brought her laptop so we played the videos off of the laptop in the room so we could accurately record the foley.
I got out a Marantz 661 and a Sennheiser 614 to record with and used the trays of concrete and leaves to record Charlotte's footsteps when she walks up the temple stairs and then walks through the temple slowly to watch the bridal procession.
I put the Marantz on a mic stand and then watched the video while walking at the same time on the tray. However, I was wearing boots on my feet and the footstep sounded too heavy and not light enough on the concrete as in the video, Charlotte is wearing plimsolls. As Alice was also wearing plimsolls that day, I recorded her into walking on the concrete to the time of Charlotte's steps.





I then recorded Charlotte's footsteps as she walks along the stepping stones in the garden, using the concrete again but with a little bit of grit scattered over it for a different texture.
I then recorded the different footsteps in the bridal procession, as there are 8 people in the party, by Emma, Alice and I choosing a person to imitate then doing so. It was quite hard as we all had different shoes on and the party walked quite quickly for about 10 seconds so it was hard to do a perfect take but I recorded lots of different footsteps so I could edit and choose from them later.
I realised after recording the footsteps that the bride is wearing a beautiful quite poofy kimono that looked like it would make an obvious sound as she walked quickly along the path. Luckily, I found a large sheet of almost silky material in protools that I used to imitate her walking along by rubbing the sheet together as she walked using varying speed and pressure.


Lastly, I recorded the sound of Charlotte tying a paper prayer to a tree branch. As I didn't have a tree branch, I used another mic stand in front of the Sennheiser, ripped a few thin sheets of paper and then recorded myself tying the prayer in a knot around the mic stand while watching the video on the laptop. It was hard because I kept pulling the paper too hard and ripping it or I tied it too slowly or quickly but after a few long takes, I managed to get something that I could use for her tying a paper to the branch.






No comments:

Post a Comment